I am not good at remembering names. I want to remember names, but apparently not well enough to employ name recall strategies. Often when I meet someone new, I've forgotten their name during the midst of our first conversation. I've even had to say "I'm sorry, I'm not good with names. Can you tell me your name again?" Yeah... got some work to do on this one. Can any of you relate?
I was reading Psalm 147 today and verse 4 jumped off the page at me: He (God) determines the number of the stars and calls them each by name. This verse just blows my mind!! Have you ever been out in the country and looked at the sky on a clear night? The stars are everywhere... some big, some small... and it's quite spectacular. And to think that we just see a small snapshot of ALL the stars at that moment. There are stars out in the universe that we can't even see with the naked eye. Any guesses regarding the number of stars in the universe? One website claims that there are between 10 sextillion and 1 septillion stars in the Universe. (Read more: http://www.universetoday.com/24328/how-many-stars/#ixzz2GP9I5iI9) And guess what? God not only knows the total number of stars, but He also has a name for each of them! And to think that I can't even remember one person's name after I meet them. Our God is so incredibly awesome!
Here's another detail that shows how awesome our God is. Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies [fn]? Yet
not one of them is forgotten by God. Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Don't be afraid; you are
worth more than many sparrows. Luke 12:7-8 http://www.blueletterbible.org/Bible.cfm?b=Luk&c=12&t=NIV#7 God knows us so well that He even knows the numbers of hairs on our heads. Doesn't it make you feel so loved to know that God is in tune with the tiniest detail about you... like the number of hairs on your head? My mind can hardly scratch the surface of comprehending how much God loves me.
These verses remind us to put Psalm 147:7 into practice: Sing to the Lord with thanksgiving; make music to our God on the harp. Let's give God thanks for being All-Knowing, All-Powerful and Everywhere. What an awesome God we have!
Tonight, I am thankful for...
1. God knowing the number of stars and having names for each of them
2. God knowing me so intimately that He knows when a single hair falls out of my head
3. God knowing everything
4. God is always with me... I am never alone
5. Nothing is impossible with God (Luke 1:37)... He truly is All-Powerful
6. My son falling back asleep this morning
7. My three year old's creativity with a large rectangle of cardboard
8. Getting the bedrooms cleaned today
9. Two boys picking up their rooms so I could dust
10. Reading "My Brave Year of Firsts" by Jamie Lee Curtis with the boys and stopping to notice all the silliness in the illustrations
11. Mixed nuts
12. Having dinner with our good friends at my hubby's favorite restaurant
14. Cottage Pie on a cold winter's night
15. The chill of a single snowflake hitting my skin
16. Driving with snowflakes rushing at our windows - beautiful!
17. My handy hubby that can fix anything
18. God's Word
19. Christian Authors
20. Who is my Shelter? by Neta Jackson
21. Hearing my hubby's text ring... it makes me smile every time
Here's to 10,000 reasons... Only 3,560 to go...