What I've discovered is those ladies were so right about how God uses this devotion to speak right to my heart. It's amazing how I'll find a quote on thanksgiving that resonates since I'm working on this experiment. Or it might provide encouragement I needed to hear... or scriptures that speak truth or provide clarity. I'm so very thankful that God used those ladies in the Black Friday line to introduce me to this devotion.
Today, the devotion hit the spot for me. I had a really tough day yesterday and today's devotion focused on giving thanks even when you have problems. Let me share a few excerpts with you...
In faith, thank Me for your problems... Once you have become grateful for a problem, it loses its power to drag you down. On the contrary, your thankful attitude will lift you up into heavenly places with Me. (Young, p. 369)
Just what I needed to hear... Choosing thankfulness during a problem can change my perspective. It can help me choose a positive attitude. It can remind me of Who God Is and how He can use anything... even my problems... for good.
And so, while I was still weighed down this morning with emotions from the previous day, God used these words to remind me to BE THANKFUL. So, I played 10,000 Reasons on my iPhone while dropping the boys off to school and we sang it together. Then, I flipped through the radio channels, and it was on again and I whispered "Thank you, God, it's just what I needed." I focused on singing praise songs and not just listening to them, because singing them fills my mind with the truth even more. And I used my sword of the spirit (aka Bible verses) to remind me who I am in Christ to defeat the lies that were knocking around in my head. And you know what? God was so faithful. My mood began to change. I started to notice more things to be thankful for. God is good and I'm so glad that the simple instruction "... give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus" (1 Thessalonians 5:18) can have such a powerful effect on my thoughts and my attitude.
Thank You, God, for helping me experience the benefits of choosing thankfulness today. And remind me of this in the future, because thanksgiving puts me in such a better place! In Jesus Name, Amen.
Tonight, I am thankful for...
1. The message in Jesus Calling today (December 18th)
2. 10,000 Reasons by Matt Redman
3. Middle of a Miracle by Francesca Battistelli
4. Smell of fresh baked bread at WW Cousin's
5. Lunch with my mom and niece
6. My mom's creative strategy to get my son to eat his lunch... and it worked!
7. A sweet text from a friend at just the right moment
8. Wearing sunglasses today
9. Hearing my son sing Marshmallow World in the car
10. My boys getting new PJs and ornaments tonight from my parents and their delight in the presents
11. Cousin PJ fashion show and pictures in front of the Christmas tree
12. My son singing me a song before bed
13. Christmas cards halfway finished
14. Knowing that bedtime is right around the corner
15. Seeing my son with antlers and a red nose when I picked him up from school today... hello Rudolph!
16. Encouraging words
Here's to 10,000 reasons... Only 4,828 to go...
Young, Sarah. Jesus Calling. (2004) December 18 (p 369). Nashville, TN: Thomas Nelson.