Today, I got to hear my three year old share a theology lesson with his cousin. But before I explain, you need a little bit of background information. A few weeks ago, my three year old told me he didn't want to go to heaven because it was in outer space and he was scared of outer space. I tried to reassure him that it wouldn't be scary at all... in fact, it would be so much better than living here on this earth. He didn't buy it... and he dropped the subject after a few nights. Today, we were at lunch and my niece and my son were sitting across from each other. There were two empty chairs between my mom and me and the kids... it was almost like they were big kids sitting by themselves. Pretty cute! And so, they decided to have a big kid conversation. My son looked at my niece and said "God says that when we die we go up to heaven." She agreed. Then he shared, "When we get to heaven, we go alive again." I was quite surprised that out of all the things two three year olds could discuss, heaven was their topic of choice. This is a conversation that I will treasure in my heart. And hopefully, this demonstrates that maybe he's over his fear of outer space and heaven...
I've mentioned how being thankful in all circumstances can haunt me because I'm not there yet. But the theology of a three year old can help me find ways to give thanks in all circumstances... John 3:16 says: For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life. When we invite Jesus into our hearts as Lord and Savior, our eternal destiny is secure. Romans 10:9 explains this in more detail: That if you confess with
your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your
heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. Once we confess and believe in Jesus, when we die, we go alive again in heaven and get to spend eternity in the most marvelous place... in the eternal presence of God! That is something to be thankful for all the time, regardless of our circumstances. This thankfulness stuff is starting to click... one lesson at a time. I hope you're learning as much as I am. God sure is using some creative ways to teach me. Thanks for letting me share them with you.
Tonight, I'm thankful for...
1. The theology lesson from a three year old
2. My hubby's text tone from Duck Dynasty "Everybody happy, happy, happy" that makes me laugh out loud
3. Date night with my hubby (and yes, I did wear my black dress that arrived safely from the hotel where I left it)
4. My parents not only watching the boys, but also driving them to our house and putting them to bed so they won't be up too late on a school night
5. Seeing the full moon rising behind bare, lacy tree limbs in a cloudless sky
6. Christmas lights in our neighborhood and my hubby's commentary that brings a smile to my face
Here's to 10,000 reasons... Only 7,063 to go...