Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Shadow Reflections


I was back to my normal walk time this morning and I loved it!  The sun was rising over the rooftops.  The birds were singing.  My bunny rabbit buddy was hopping across the field.  And I could see my shadow again.  I've become fascinated with my shadow since I've started these morning walks.  Why, you ask?  Because I'm petite in the height department, but when I walk with my back to the sun, my shadow appears to be six feet tall!  I've also discovered some interesting facts about my shadow.  I can tell that my hair is in a ponytail, but not that I'm wearing my glasses.  I can see the outline of my shorts, but not the color of my clothes.  My shadow is a reflection of me, but you can't see a lot of details about my appearance if you're just looking at my shadow.  See what things you notice about your shadow the next time you're out in the sun.

Have you ever considered how your life can shadow Jesus?  How you can be transformed to reflect Him? 

After reviewing the Merriam Webster's definition of shadow, I was intrigued:

1
: partial darkness or obscurity within a part of space from which rays from a source of light are cut off by an interposed opaque body
2
: a reflected image
3
: shelter from danger or observation
4
a : an imperfect and faint representation
b : an imitation of something : copy
 
5
: the dark figure cast upon a surface by a body intercepting the rays from a source of light
 
10
a : an inseparable companion or follower

Wow!  I long to reflect Jesus (2).  I desire to intercept rays from Jesus, my source of light (5).  And I want to be an inseparable follower of Jesus (10).

The thought of shadowing Jesus captivates me.  Inspires me.  And convicts me.  Because in order for me to reflect Jesus, in order for my life to be a shadow and for Jesus to shine through me, I need to spend time in His light.  Sounds simple, right?  But it definitely requires discipline.  Spending time with Jesus is not something I have to do... like laundry (because if I don't do this, we will run out of clean clothes), or grocery shopping (because we need to eat), or filling my car up with gas (or we'll be staying home).  This is a personal decision I get to make each day.  And in order for me to be a better wife, mother, and friend, I NEED to spend time with Jesus.  Trust me, I notice a difference in my life, my attitude, my words, and my actions when I spend time in the light of Jesus instead of hitting the snooze button and getting a few more zzz's.  The Bible also provides some benefits of walking in the light (or more simply put, of spending time with Jesus).

Psalm 89:15
Blessed are those who have learned to acclaim you, who walk in the light of your presence, Lord.


1 John 1:7
But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.
 
Have you walked in the light today?  Have you invested time in your relationship with Jesus?  If not, there's no time like the present!  Grab a Bible and read a chapter or two.  Psalms is a great place to start.  Or the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke or John. (The Gospels tell you how Jesus Himself stayed connected to His Father God, the ultimate light source.  Check out Mark 1:35).  Spend some time in prayer.  Thank God for the blessings He rained down on you today.  Absorb His truth.  And become radiant as Psalm 34:5 so beautifully states:  Those who look to Him are radiant; their faces are never covered with shame.  Start intercepting His rays today as you become an inseparable follower of Jesus, the Light of the World (John 8:12).   


No comments:

Post a Comment