Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Lessons from the Monkey Bars


Ahhh, the monkey bars… kids love ‘em, and some parents hate ‘em and I found out why last month.  Yep, you got it… my son fell off the monkey bars and broke his left arm.  Now don’t get too alarmed… because out of all the breaks, his was a common one.  It’s called a buckle fracture, which means the bone buckled rather than broke.  That’s good news in my book.  He only wore a cast for three weeks (followed by three weeks in a splint).  And as of Monday, his bone completely healed.  In a matter of about seven week, he is as good as new with no physical therapy required.  That calls for a big WOOHOO!  I’d say we hit the jackpot in the world of bone fractures.  I’m so thankful God was watching over my son and protected him from something much more serious. 

What amazes me the most about this fracture is that God designed our bones to repair themselves.  The doctor did nothing except put a cast on his arm to protect the bone while it heals.  Isn’t that incredible?  I’m no scientist and I’ve never taken anatomy and physiology, so I don’t know much about how the body works.  But I’m in awe that God designed our bones to heal like that.  My friend, whose daughter broke her arm, told me she was amazed at her daughter’s second x-ray because the bone was bigger after it healed.  I have a new appreciation for Psalm 139:14:  I will praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made.  Your works are wonderful, I know that full well!

Have you ever been broken or fractured in some way?  I know I have… and it’s painful and can have lasting effects.  The same God who designed our bones to heal themselves is there to help us heal from our own breaks and fractures… whatever they may be.  In fact, read these verses and be encouraged that God can make things new:

Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.  Psalm 51:10

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!  2 Corinthians 5:17

You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.  Ephesians 4:22-24

But now you must rid yourselves of all such things as these:  anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips.  Do not lie to each other, since you have taken off your old self with its practices and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge of the image of its Creator.  Colossians 3:8-10

The Creator still creates.  We can be made new.  But healing requires us to spend some time with the Great Physician, God Himself, so He can show us what our breaks and fractures are.  Maybe you need to visit with God right now.  He’s waiting for you: 

 18 And therefore the Lord [earnestly] waits [expecting, looking, and longing] to be gracious to you; and therefore He lifts Himself up, that He may have mercy on you and show loving-kindness to you. For the Lord is a God of justice. Blessed (happy, fortunate, to be envied) are all those who [earnestly] wait for Him, who expect and look and long for Him [for His victory, His favor, His love, His peace, His joy, and His matchless, unbroken companionship]!  Isaiah 30:18  Amplified Bible (AMP)

So spend some time with your Great Physician, your Creator, and the One who loves you with a steadfast love today.  Bring Him your breaks and fractures.  Be confident that you can be made new.  And let this song (I Am New by Jason Gray) remind you of this truth...that you are new, chosen, holy and dearly loved.  

No comments:

Post a Comment