Monday, June 10, 2013

A Walk in the Dark

My morning routine was a bit different today.  And I quickly discovered that sometimes changing things up makes you appreciate your original routine even more.  I got up SUPER early today for my morning walk.  It was still dark outside.  And it was raining... again.  I was prepared for the rain this morning, though, because our electricity went off last night in the middle of a thunderstorm, so I knew I was in for a windbreaker, wet glasses kinda walk.

What I didn't realize was how much I would miss walking in the light.  I got the same amount of exercise as other mornings, however, I just didn't enjoy it as much.  I couldn't see the sun rising over the houses as I began my walk.  I missed watching all my little animal friends.  Yep, my morning walks just might make me an animal liker yet. (Notice I didn't say animal lover...) No one else was out.  I didn't even get to see the dog in the raincoat this morning because I was out too early.   
 
But I did get to hear the raindrops hit my hood to remind me that God is raining down blessings on me.  In fact, I even opened my palms to receive some raindrop blessings.  I was thankful that I got to exercise.  And I knew that the sun would come up soon, even though I couldn't see it.  And sure enough, the sun rose just as it did every other morning.

Have you ever walked in darkness?  Have you ever felt alone?  Isolated?  Searching for light, but not seeing any on the horizon?  I know I have!  It's a tough place to be.  But just like we know that the sun rises in the east each morning, we can trust that God will guide us through the darkness of our circumstances into light.  Check out these verses:


You, Lord, are my lamp; the Lord turns my darkness into light


He reveals the deep things of darkness and brings utter darkness into the light.


You, Lord, keep my lamp burning; my God turns my darkness into light.


Even in darkness light dawns for the upright, for those who are gracious and compassionate and righteous.

Psalm 139:11-12

 If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you.


I have come into the world as a light, so that no one who believes in me should stay in darkness.

Did you find some encouragement in these verses?  I sure hope so!  But I also realize that you might not even see the slightest ray of sunshine in your life right now, and these verses just leave you feeling worse.  Maybe you feel like the darkness is so thick that you are completely out of reach… that not even the slightest sunbeam could find you.  Remember that God has not abandoned you.  In fact, Deuteronomy 31:6 tells us to: "Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."  Will you choose to believe this?  Will you put Proverbs 3:5-6 into practice?  It says:  "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.  In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight." 
 
Trusting God can be so tough in the darkness.  But you can do it.  You may have to make a moment by moment decision to trust Jesus.  You may even need to say "I trust you, Jesus" out loud… over and over… whenever the darkness seems to cover you.  And maybe you need to hear 1 Peter 2:9 right now: 
 

But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.

 Take a moment and personalize 1 Peter 2:9.  Read it out loud with your name plugged it.  And choose to believe it… you are chosen, royal, holy and God’s special possession.  Look for opportunities to praise your Heavenly Father in the dark.  Because God is light, and His light is wonderful.  And as Psalm 18:28 says, “My God turns my darkness into light.”  Keep your eyes fixed to the east, dear friends, because the sunrise is coming.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment