Friday, June 7, 2013

Blessings in the Rain

So I did something yesterday morning that is not typical.  In fact, I can't remember the last time I did this.  Are you ready for my big reveal?  Here it goes... I walked in the rain.  Yep, you read it right.  This girl actually decided to walk when it was raining.  I picture you giving me a high five right now.  Or maybe a fist pump.  Or I can even hear you saying "Good job, Heather."  Imagine me smiling and saying thanks. 

Now I have to confess that I only did this because I didn't know it was raining when I finally rolled out of bed and got ready for my morning walk.  Somehow I missed the weather when my alarm went off... more than once.  So in my mind, I pictured another sunrise as I was getting dressed.  But as I walked downstairs and looked through the window, I noticed puddles.  When I didn't see any raindrops hitting the puddles, I decided to go for it because I was already up and ready.  And boy, I'm so glad I went because God wanted to reveal something to me... and I would have missed it if I didn't embark on a walk in the rain. 

I put on my bright coral rain jacket, tied my shoes and was out the door.  I've been quite spoiled with my morning walks because it's typically sunny or cloudy, but not rainy.  There was a light drizzle and I walked with my head down to avoid getting too much rain on my glasses.  The contacts hadn't made it into my eyes yet, and since I'm without windshield wipers on my glasses, it was for the best to look down instead of straight ahead. 

As I walked, I discovered that I could actually hear the pitter-patter of raindrops on the hood of my jacket.  The nylon shell didn't absorb the rain, so I could hear each raindrop hit my hood.  I've never noticed this before.  I love how I can be more in tune to things I typically overlook when it's just me and God in the mornings.  And as I considered the fact that I could hear the raindrops hit my hood, I heard a gentle whisper that said "Isn't it just like God to rain down blessings?"  Huh, what a profound whisper.  It made me realize that God rains down blessings on me every day, but I miss so many of them because I'm too busy or distracted to notice.  Whether I'm basking in the sun of a good day or drowning in the torrential downpour of a bad day, God is showering me with blessings.  Makes me look at the rain a little differently...

What about you?  Do you notice all the blessings that God rains down on you each day?  I'd like to challenge you to be on the lookout... because they truly are everywhere.  And if you're having a hard time recognizing the blessings, ask God to open your eyes so you can SEE the blessings.  Ask God to open your ears so you can HEAR the gentle, constant pitter-patter of blessings that He chose just for you.  And then, stop to thank Him, for He is good.  His love endures forever (1 Chronicles 16:34). 

Here's a list of some blessings that God rained down on me today.  I am thankful for...

1.  Walking in the rain
2.  God's gentle whisper
3.  Seeing a dog in a raincoat while I was walking... that's not something you see every day. 
4.  The smile said dog brought to my face.
5.  The laughter of kiddos I love dearly playing with water guns
6.  Impromptu dinner with extended family
7.  Sunshine after a rainy start to the day
8.  The slatted orange glow of the sunset on my son's wall
9.  Anticipating my upcoming vacation
10.  Watching my sons, niece and nephew play while sitting in a porch swing

The hymn "Count Your Many Blessings" by Johnson Oatman Jr. came to mind while I was writing.  If you need some inspiration to count your blessings, take a moment and read the lyrics to this classic hymn.  And then, get started!  Feel free to start you list in the comments section of this post.  That way, we can count our many blessings together.  It's so much more fun that way!

When upon life’s billows you are tempest tossed,
When you are discouraged, thinking all is lost,
Count your many blessings, name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord hath done.
 
Refrain
Count your blessings, name them one by one,
Count your blessings, see what God hath done!
Count your blessings, name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord hath done.

Are you ever burdened with a load of care?
Does the cross seem heavy you are called to bear?
Count your many blessings, every doubt will fly,
And you will keep singing as the days go by.
Refrain

When you look at others with their lands and gold,
Think that Christ has promised you His wealth untold;
Count your many blessings. Wealth can never buy
Your reward in heaven, nor your home on high.
Refrain

So, amid the conflict whether great or small,
Do not be disheartened, God is over all;
Count your many blessings, angels will attend,
Help and comfort give you to your journey’s end.
Refrain
 

No comments:

Post a Comment