Thursday, May 16, 2013

Need a Hero?

Are you a fan of worms?  I'm not.  Bugs, worms, ants... they aren't high on my list of favorite things.  My boys, however, have quite a different perspective than their momma.  They love worms and bugs and ants.  As a matter of fact, my oldest son is a worm hero in my book because he loves to rescue them as they are crossing the sidewalk.  He carefully picks up the worm and then gently places it in the grass.  Hmmm... maybe he needs a superhero shirt for this?

I can honestly tell you that worms need a hero.  Why, you ask?  Because the sidewalks of our neighborhood are covered with dried up worms.  There are too many to count.  And after watching a worm attempt to cross the sidewalk, I began to understand why there are so many causalities.

I witnessed one worm in particular that was on a mission to cross the sidewalk.  I was quite impressed with his strategy to squirm his way straight across.  He was moving!!  But after several squirms, he got off track and instead of heading straight across, he started going down the sidewalk.  And then he headed back to his starting position.  He quickly lost his way and I didn't stick around to see his final destination.  Hopefully he got back on track instead of ending up like so many that went before him.

I wonder if you've ever felt like the worm I observed this morning.  You're on a mission, moving along great, and then something happens.  You get distracted.  You get lost.  You forget where you were going to begin with.  A tragedy happens.  You get some negative feedback.  It's a lot harder than you thought.  You lose motivation because it's taking much longer than you expected.  You...

When you're in that kind of situation, do you ever feel like you need a hero?  Do you wish that someone would carefully pick you up and gently place you in a safe place?  I know I've been there!  It's so refreshing when you're in the midst of a trial and a friend comes along with a scripture that gets you back on track.  Or maybe someone prays for you.  Or you receive an encouraging card.  Or someone gives you a hug and provides a shoulder for you to cry on.

But sometimes a hero doesn't show up.  Maybe you're in a trial and no one is walking beside you right now.  Don't lose hope because there is a hero just waiting to help you.  That Hero is our Heavenly Father.  The Bible is filled with stories of God's love and faithfulness and deliverance.  Just check out the book of Exodus for the amazing story of God saving the Israelites from Pharaoh and all the incredible miracles He performed during their rescue! 

Maybe you need a hero right now.  The Book of Psalms is a great place to get tips on how to rely on the best Hero around, your Heavenly Father.  It's filled with examples of David and others crying out to God in the midst of their trials, inviting God to rescue them.  Psalm 31 provides a great example of David trusting in God during a tough situation: 

In you, Lord, I have taken refuge;
    let me never be put to shame;
    deliver me in your righteousness.
Turn your ear to me,
    come quickly to my rescue;
be my rock of refuge,
    a strong fortress to save me.
Since you are my rock and my fortress,
    for the sake of your name lead and guide me.
Keep me free from the trap that is set for me,
    for you are my refuge.
Into your hands I commit my spirit;
    deliver me, Lord, my faithful God.

14 But I trust in you, Lord;
    I say, “You are my God.”
15 My times are in your hands;
    deliver me from the hands of my enemies,
    from those who pursue me.
16 Let your face shine on your servant;
    save me in your unfailing love.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=psalm%2031&version=NIV

Do you need a hero today?  Cry out to God.  Pray Psalm 31 and personalize it with your requests.  Believe that the Lord is earnestly waiting (expecting, looking, and longing) to be gracious to you; and therefore He lifts Himself up, that He may have mercy on you and show loving-kindness to you (Isaiah 30:18 Amplified).  And rest confidently in the last part of Isaiah 30:18 Amplified:  Blessed (happy, fortunate, to be envied) are all those who [earnestly] wait for Him, who expect and look and long for Him [for His victory, His favor, His love, His peace, His joy, and His matchless, unbroken companionship].  Your Hero is waiting to hear from you, so take some time right now to sit in His presence and rest under the shadow of His protective wings (Psalm 91:4).







No comments:

Post a Comment